FARGO, N.D. and CHICAGO, Dec. 27, 2017 — Swanson Health, a wellness leader for nearly five decades, announced today the launch of Vision Defense – a supplement to protect your eyes against the harmful effects of digital device blue light. The average adult spends more than 11 hours a day looking at computers, tablets, phones and TVs, and their love for a multi-screen world shows no signs of slowing. Now, more than ever, it's critical to pay attention to eye health.
Studies show that blue light from digital devices can disrupt sleep-and-wake patterns, causing digital eye strain. This can lead to blurry vision, lack of focus, dry and irritated eyes, headaches and neck and back pain. With prolonged use, our digital device habits can lead to permanent eye damage, contributing to age-related macular degeneration and in extreme cases, loss of eyesight.
“Vision Defense is a powerful formula packed with ingredients scientifically proven to protect against blue light damage,” said Shane Durkee, Chief Innovation Officer at Swanson Health. “Our main ingredient, Lutemax 2020, is a naturally derived marigold extract that provides important macular carotenoids – lutein and zeaxanthin – to support optimal eye health.” Simply put, it's a science-backed, globally recognized supplement to protect your eyes from blue light.
- Smartphones and tablets emit more blue light than any other light source, and 50% of eye doctors report an increase in digital eye strain and effects from blue light exposure among patients.
- Teens spend an average of 9 hours a day in front of TVs, smartphones, computers and tablets; and children use blue-light-emitting devices at earlier ages than ever before.
- Four out of 10 adults work in jobs that require prolonged use of a computer or tablet, but over two-thirds of Americans haven't discussed their digital device usage with their eye care provider.
- About 70% of adults who regularly use media devices experience symptoms of digital eye strain, but due to lack of knowledge, many do nothing to lessen their discomfort.
Supplements like Vision Defense play a critical role in filling the eye health nutrient gap. Lutein and zeaxanthin are the only two carotenoids your body uses for eye protection, but it doesn't produce them naturally. These powerhouse nutrients can be found naturally in foods like dark leafy greens and orange- and yellow-colored fruits and vegetables. However, today, Americans simply aren't eating enough of these foods, and on average only 14 percent of adults get the recommended two to three servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
“It's exciting to see Swanson Health raise awareness about digital device use and eye health given today's modern lifestyles,” said Vijaya Juturu, Ph.D., award-winning nutrition expert studying risk factors in eye health, and Director of Clinical Affairs, OmniActive Health Technologies. “Eye health has historically been more of a priority for older adults with age-related eye conditions, but with today's blue light exposure it's a concern for everyone.”
So where do you start when it comes to combating digital eye strain? Here are five ways you can protect your eyes today:
Five Ways to Protect Your Peepers:
- Limit screen time when not working: grab a book, take a walk, choose deviceless activities to limit blue light eye strain.
- Use nighttime device settings to minimize blue light exposure.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule: shift your eyes to look at an object at least 20 feet away, for at least 20 seconds, every 20 minutes.
- Add leafy greens, like spinach, kale, collard and turnip greens, to your diet. Want to supersize your benefits? Also include orange- and yellow-colored fruits and vegetables like peppers, squash and corn.
- Take a daily supplement for blue light eye protection like Swanson Health's Vision Defense.
To learn more about protecting your eyes from blue light, check out this recent interview with Swanson Health's own registered dietitian and Director of Science and Innovation, Amy Sunderman, MS, RD, and Dr. Vijaya Juturu, or read Ways to Support Eye Health on Swanson Health's blog.
Swanson Health's Vision Defense is available exclusively online at shp.news/VisionDefense.
About Swanson Health
Swanson Health started in 1969 in Fargo, ND with a mission to offer pure and potent health products at a great value. Nearly 50 years later, Swanson Health continues to innovate science-backed vitamins and supplements, delivering wellness solutions that help people live simply healthier together. Learn more and shop exclusively online at swanson.com.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/finally-a-solution-for-americas-multi-screen-blue-light-world-300575407.html
SOURCE Swanson Health
Powered by WPeMatico